About CompTIA SY0-601 Exam
CompTIA SY0-601 is the new version of the qualifying exam for the Security+ certification. This is the first security certificate that a candidate needs to earn in the field of information security. It validates the core knowledge required for any cybersecurity job and acts as the springboard to the mid-level cybersecurity positions.
CompTIA SY0-601: Target Audience
The candidates for this exam are the IT specialists looking to validate their information security skills and knowledge. The test is designed for those individuals who want to take up the job roles in the field of cybersecurity and need the CompTIA Security+ certification to boost their resume and increase their chance of getting a desired position.
CompTIA SY0-601: Prerequisites
CompTIA Security+ is an entry-level certification, so its corresponding exam, CompTIA SY0-601, does not have any official prerequisites. However, it is recommended that the learners first pursue the Network+ certificate and have at least two years of hands-on experience in the domain of IT administration with a special focus on security. Additionally, the applicants must understand the content of the test before attempting it.
CompTIA SY0-601: Exam Details
The CompTIA SY0-601 exam consists of a maximum of 90 questions. All the questions are to be completed within the allocated time of 90 minutes. The students can expect multiple-choice and performance-based questions during the delivery of the test. This certification exam is available in English, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese. Registration for the test should be done through the Pearson VUE platform and the examinees are required to pay the fee of $349 for it. The individuals can choose from two options of the exam delivery: an online proctored test or an onsite session at one of the centers located worldwide. You can visit the certification webpage to find the testing center that is located nearest to you. To pass CompTIA SY0-601 with flying colors, you need to achieve the passing score of 750 on a scale of 100 to 900 points.
CompTIA SY0-601: Exam Topics
This certification test evaluates one’s practical troubleshooting knowledge and skills required to evaluate the security stance of an organization’s environment while recommending and implementing the relevant security solutions. It also measures the candidates’ ability to secure and monitor hybrid environments; function with the awareness of applicable policies and laws; identify, evaluate, and respond to different security incidents and events. Below are the specific skills that each of the exam topics contains.
Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities (24%)
- Compare and contrast various types of social engineering methods;
- Given a specific scenario, evaluate the possible indicators to determine the attack type;
- Given a specific scenario, evaluate the possible indicators connected with attacks on the network;
- In a given scenario, evaluate the possible indicators connected with application attacks;
- Describe various threat actors, intelligence sources, and vectors;
- Describe the security issues connected with different kinds of vulnerabilities;
- Summarize the methods utilized in security evaluations;
- Describe the methods utilized for penetration testing.
Architecture & Design (21%)
- Describe the significance of security concepts within an enterprise environment;
- Summarize Cloud computing and virtualization concepts;
- Summarize authorization and authentication design concepts;
- Summarize secure automation, deployment, and development of application concepts;
- Given a specific scenario, execute cybersecurity resilience;
- Describe security implications of specialized and embedded systems;
- Describe the significance of physical security controls;
- Summarize the fundamentals of cryptographic concepts.
- In a given scenario, implement specific secure protocols;
- Implement application or host security solutions;
- Implement certain secure network designs;
- In a given scenario, configure and install wireless security settings;
- Implement a secure mobile solution;
- In a given scenario, apply a cybersecurity solution for Cloud;
- In a given scenario, implement account and identity management controls;
- Implement authorization and authentication solutions;
- In a given scenario, implement PKI (Public Key Infrastructure).
Operations & Incident Response (16%)
- In a given scenario, utilize the relevant tools to evaluate organizational security;
- Summarize the significance of policies, procedures, and processes for the incident response;
- In a given incident, use the relevant data source for the support of an investigation;
- In a given incident, apply specific mitigation methods or controls for the security of an environment;
- Describe the major aspects of digital forensics.
Governance, Compliance, and Risk (14%)
- Compare and contrast different types of controls;
- Describe the significance of applicable standards, frameworks, or standards that affect the security posture of an organization;
- Describe the significance of policies to the security of an organization;
- Summarize the concepts and processes of risk management;
- Describe the concepts of sensitive data and privacy as they relate to security.
Although these topics are extensive, the students can pass the CompTIA SY0-601 exam at the first attempt. To ensure your success, it is critical to dedicate ample time to exploring these objectives with appropriate resources. To get started with your preparation, you should check the official webpage. You will find instructor-led training courses, video tutorials, study guides, virtual labs, and other tools.
CompTIA SY0-601: Career Opportunities
Passing the SY0-601 exam leads to the attainment of the CompTIA Security+ certification and this is a great step towards landing a highly rewarding career in the cybersecurity domain. The certificate complies with the ISO 17024 standards. It is also approved by the U.S. DoD to fulfill the directive 8140/8570.01-M. This means that this certification is well-recognized and well-respected by private organizations and the government. With CompTIA Security+, you can gain more experience and take up more responsibilities and a better salary. Some job roles associated with this sought-after certificate are a Security Administrator, a System Administrator, a Helpdesk Manager/Analyst, a Network/Cloud Engineer, a Security Analyst/Engineer, a DevOps/Software Developer, and a Project Manager. Depending on your position and years of experience, you are able to get an average of $65,000 per annum or as much as $198,000.